Are you craving a taste of the beach? Spectrum Resorts’ Executive Chef John Hamme is serving up his award-winning gumbo recipe for you to prepare at home. If you’ve visited The Village Hideaway at The Beach Club you’ve probably feasted on this mouthwatering dish. Now, you can make it from the comfort of your home.
6 oz Oil
1 cup All-purpose Flour
1 qt Diced Onion
2 cup Diced Celery
2 cup Diced Bell Pepper
1 oz Minced Garlic
4 oz Andouille Sausage
2 lb Chicken Thighs (Bone in)
1 gal Chicken Stock
2 cup Diced Tomato
8 oz Okra
1 ea Bay Leaf
1 oz Basil
½ oz Oregano
To taste Salt and Pepper
To taste Louisiana Hot Sauce
1 oz Chopped Parsley
To taste Chicken Bullion as needed
- In a large saucepan heat the oil to the smoke point. Add the flour and cook to a chocolate brown color.
- In a separate pan brown the chicken thighs on all sides. Once browned add to the simmering soup once all ingredients are added.
- Add the vegetables to stop the cooking of the roux.
- Add the Sausage and cook a moment longer.
- Gradually add remaining ingredients stirring to a paste after each addition. Simmer until the flour flavor dissipates.
- When the chicken thighs are cooked remove and pull the meat adding it back into the soup for garnish. Discard the skin and bones.
- Finish with salt and pepper, hot sauce and parsley.
- If needed, boost the flavor with Ham Base.