Here’s Why Fall is the New Summer on the Gulf CoastEva Faircloth - August 14, 2014
School is starting back and some kids are experiencing back-to-school blues, so give them something to look forward to. A fall break at the beach will give the kiddos something to look forward to, and you can offer it as a reward for good behavior and grades. The rumor on the island is that fall is the new summer. It’s not as hot; there are shorter wait times at your favorite restaurants and shorter commute times.
The secret is out about the sugar-white sand in Gulf Shores and Orange Beach. The Alabama Gulf Coast is so tranquil it is almost like you’re in a dream. People escape the hustle and bustle of the daily grind to relax. The beach is the place to getaway and fall is definitely prime time. There is something for everyone in the fall including football, Fort Morgan and Flora-Bama. What more do you need?
The rates for accommodations drop in the fall and some of the area’s most popular events take place after school starts back.
- Thunder on the Gulf rolls down the beach on Friday, August 22 and in Pensacola on Sunday, August 24.
- Bulls on the Beach at the famous Flora-Bama Lounge. Head to The Bama September 12-13 for a high-energy, rock-and-roll rodeo with professional bullriders from across the southeast.
- Mercedes-Benz of Mobile is presenting the Wharf’s first premier wine tasting and culinary competition,Uncorked at The Wharf on September 25, 26, and 27.
- Presented by Zatarain’s, the 2014 National Shrimp Festival is October 9-12 in Gulf Shores featuring fine art, live music, Children’s Village, shrimp, more shrimp and Cajun Pistols.
- Restaurateurs and celebrity chefs will be shuckin’ the Gulf’s finest treasures for food fanatic’s and oyster connoisseurs at the Annul Oyster Cook-Off at The Hangout November 7-9.
Fall begins an array of great outdoor activities and events in coastal Alabama. Golf, fishing, football and hiking are at their peak when the air is cooler and more refreshing. Think about booking a Tailgate Getawaypackage, a tee time at an award-winning golf course or a girlfriend’s getaway before you FALL back into the daily grind.
Wine dinners are great for a date night in the fall and many of the local restaurants start hosting them often. Spectrum Resorts offers wine dinner packages at Coast that include accommodations at The Beach Club. Wine dinners are great for anniversary dinners or romantic getaways. Fall is one of the most romantic times of year and the fall holidays are a great time for engagements and weddings. Many couples come to the coast and Fall in love.
Check back in with the Spectrum Resorts blog for our September series on Fall Favorites where we will spotlight a different restaurant, event or attraction each week.